Living through the Giants-Dodgers 6-hour-14-minute marathon

From PB&J to pizza, an epic night results in another Dodger loss

Karl Buscheck
September 12, 2017 - 2:54 pm

Just before the first of two rain delays on Monday night, Orel Hershiser, the one-time World Series MVP and current Dodgers broadcaster, wandered through the press dinning room at AT&T Park, offering up some advice that proved prophetic on a strange evening turned early morning, at the Giants home stadium.

"I think I'm going to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich," the 1988 NL  Cy Young Award winner declared, warning that the game could be headed for an extended delay.

Hershiser could not have been more right.

It took 6 hours and 14 minutes for the game to be played and it ended in yet another Dodgers loss — their 11th in as many games.

Here's a first-hand account of what it was like to live through the marathon between the NL West rivals...

6:38 p.m. — As lightening flashes across the sky and thunder rumbles in the background, the Giants announce the game has been delayed:

7:20 p.m.  The tarp comes off only to be put back on a minute later.

7:57 p.m.  Chris Stratton throws his first pitch, retires Curtis Granderson and then the sky opens up, the rain pours down and the second delay begins...

8:54 p.m.  The delay is almost an hour old, but lots of fans remain, especially those decked out in blue

10:19 p.m.  The second first pitch is finally scheduled

10:49 p.m.  The cleanup rolls on...

10:51 p.m. — The SECOND batter of the night.

Bottom of the 1st — Denard Span hits a BOMB.

11:37 p.m. — Bonta Hill arrives on the scene.

12:26 a.m. — Giants PR comes through with the pizza!

12:41 a.m. — It's Tuesday morning and the fans are struggling.

1:03 a.m. — Yasiel Puig blasts a 441-foot, 109-mph home run — briefly putting the Dodgers ahead.

1:12 a.m. — The hit that wins the night.

2:11 a.m. — Sam Dyson records the final out — six hours and 14 minutes after Stratton threw his first pitch. A record-setting finish:

Comments ()